Updates on Covid-19/Corona Virus 3/23/20
We understand that this is an unprecedented time that directly impacts and affects the health of you and your family. We want to reassure you that your care and safety is our top priority. While this is an evolving situation, we will continue to be open to take care of your medical needs, but reducing everyone’s risk to Covid-19 is our utmost responsibility. To that end, we have implemented the following measures for your protection.
- Office Changes: We are still open for business for essential visits. We have created a schedule that will limit the number of people in the office at any time to enhance social distancing. We have also assisted our employees to work from home to decrease any exposures to our office and still meet all your needs.
- Office visits: We are limiting office visits to essential obstetric and gynecological visits only. This includes prenatal visits, postpartum visits when appropriate, and emergency gynecological services (excess bleeding, abdominal pain, etc). If you are not sure whether your visit needs to be in person, please call our office at 312-775-1100.
- Telemedicine visits: We realize that “non-essential” issues are still important to you! While we are postponing routine annual visits for now, we continue to provide contraceptive counseling/services, pre-conception counseling, fertility counseling, postpartum and post-operative visits, depression counseling, and peri-menopause/menopausal visits through telemedicine visits. We can conduct these telemedicine visits through either a laptop or a smartphone. This list is not comprehensive, so please call the office at 312-775-1100 to see if your need is appropriate for telemedicine.
- Patient Portal: Use the patient portal to stay connected! If you have any questions, please let us know through the portal, and if a telemedicine appointment seems appropriate, our staff will reach out to you to schedule.
- Office visitors: At this time no one except patients will be allowed in our office in order to reduce risk of spread. The only exceptions will be for a new obstetrical visit, the 20 week anatomy ultrasound and during essential in-office procedures. We will allow partners to use video or audio to participate in a visit remotely.
- Screening in-office patients: We urge you to call us if you have a fever >100, persistent respiratory or diarrhea symptoms, flu-like symptoms, or a continuous cough, or if you or family members have had travel exposure or direct contact with a Covid-19 person, In our office, you will be met by a staff member who will also take your temperature and screen for Covid-19 symptoms and contacts as well.
- Office sanitation: Our office staff continue to use all measures to reduce spread of any infection to our patients, including hand washing, sanitizers, and complete cleaning of all rooms between patients. In addition, our office undergoes a deep cleaning at the end of the day as well as increased periodic cleanings throughout the day.
- Medication Refills: For routine medications, i.e. birth control pills, HRT, etc, we will extend your refills for 3 months as long as you are not having any issues.
- Prentice Hospital-Obstetrics: At this time, only one dedicated significant other is permitted at Prentice hospital throughout your entire stay. No children will be permitted at the hospital. The hospital is fully prepared and has implemented a plan that will reduce potential spread of the Covid-19 virus as well as care for pregnant women who do test positive for Covid-19.
- Prentice Hospital-Gynecology: The hospital has stopped all elective surgeries at this time. However, if you need a surgery/procedure due to an emergency, i.e. bleeding, a miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy, etc., rest assured that your case will be done in a timely manner.
- Communication: We will continue to provide updates both through our website at nswobgyn.com or on our Facebook page. We are staying up to date on all current recommendations, using the guidelines from the CDC, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Northwestern Medicine. Up to date and accurate information on Covid-19 can be found on the Northwestern Memorial Hospital page https://www.nm.org/conditions-and-care-areas/infectious-disease/covid-19 .
Thank you for continuing to trust the Northwestern Specialists for your care. We are committed to serving our patients during this time. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility.